Sunday, July 29, 2007

EFL Post Game Press Coverage July 29

Watertown Daily Times


R&B's Miller delivers victory

WATERTOWN 3-0: RB rushes for 100 yards




Sunday, July 29, 2007

It took a long time for Ernie Miller to make up for a second-quarter miscue.

But that was the plan.

The Watertown Red and Black running back scored a touchdown, and gained 101 yards on 18 carries Saturday night during an Empire Football League game at the Alex T. Duffy Fairgrounds, as Watertown bested visiting Ottawa 28-13.

Then, at game's end, he delivered a "thank you" message to his offensive linemen.

In addition to earning the team's first 100-yard rushing performance of the season, Miller also showed he knows a lot about one of life's important virtues — responsibility. He knows who to place it upon, and when to take it himself.

"It's something I should always do, because they do such a great job. I was 3 or 4 yards downfield before anyone was even touched me," Miller said. "I think I got caught in the backfield once."

But he also took responsibility for running the wrong play in the second quarter, which led to an interception and an Ottawa touchdown in the second quarter.

In the second half, Ottawa had a lot of chances to stop Miller, they just couldn't. Miller ran 13 times after halftime as Watertown shoved the Deacon Demons all over the field, particularly at the line of scrimmage.

Two Watertown drives, both of which chewed up more than 12 minutes of game time, depleted an Ottawa squad that went to halftime with plenty of momentum.

Two fourth-down conversions, however, by quarterback Todd Kiechle sealed Ottawa's first EFL loss.

"We introduced Watertown to the offensive line tonight," Aaron Brown said. "We're the big uglies. But this team respects the linemen like we deserve."

Lester Cole caught a 31-yard touchdown, and Kiechle rushed 11 yards for a score to give the Red and Black (5-1 overall, 3-0 EFL) the early advantage. But three first half interceptions helped the Deacon Demons (2-1) fight back.

Dan Lariviere returned a pick 39 yards for a score with 19 seconds left in the second quarter. The play brought Ottawa to within 15-13, and Miller quickly looked at himself.

"The interception for a touchdown was my fault. I ran the wrong play," he admitted. "I took off running and Kiechle threw it to me, but I wasn't there. At halftime I was upset with myself, and said I'd make it up. I think I did. I hope I did."

Special teams — mainly punter Mike Dumaw — also helped Watertown subdue Ottawa during the first half. Forced to punt on the first possession, Dumaw dropped the snap, but ran 34 yards for a first down that set up Kiechle's TD jaunt.

In the second quarter, Dumaw threaded a pass between three defenders to Keith Jones for a 19-yard gain on a fake punt.

"We played the ball control game well," head coach George Ashcraft said. "It's what this offense is designed to do. I can't complain."

Sadly, injuries gave the Deacon Demons a break more than anything in the second half, as several of them were helped off the field by a trainer. The Deacon Demons' chances for a comeback weren't good, as they ran only eight plays for two yards after the break.

"They really pounded us down," Ottawa coach Jeff Pinck said. "That was the back-breaker."

Ottawa didn't get the ball in the fourth quarter until there was just over three minutes remaining in the game.

"The coaches said 'can you guys put a drive together?' Kiechle just said OK," Miller said. "Even when they lined up in the gaps we were running in, our guys blew them up. After 13 minutes, their defense just got exhausted."

NOTES : DB Truth Napier scored for Watertown on a 50-yard interception return with 1:42 to play. Brian Williams recorded another pick on Ottawa's next play. ... Kiechle added 68 rushing yards. ... WR Derek Manning caught a 32-yard TD for Ottawa. ... The Red and Black play at Vermont next week.


The Eagles took a 14-0 halftime lead and beat the Trailblazers (0-3) in an EFL game at Scranton Memorial Stadium.

Quarterback Ted Wallingford threw a pair of second-quarter touchdowns passes for Scranton (1-2). Tim Pizzenza and Phil Ross scored in the fourth quarter for the Eagles.

St. Lawrence Valley's lone touchdown came in the third quarter on a 52-yard pass from quarterback Joe Hutchison to Buddy Compeau. Compeau caught all nine of Hutchison's completions for 101 yards. Hutchison was 9-for-14 in the air with one interception.

Ricky Delaney led the Trailblazers defense with 13 tackles, while Cheyenne Dashnaw finished with nine tackles.

Copyright 2007. Watertown Daily Times, Inc., Watertown, NY. All rights reserved.


Eagles grab first win



Ted Wallingford hit Louis Verdetto with a pair of second quarter touchdowns and Tim Pazienza ran for 80 yards and a score as the Scranton Eagles picked up their first win of the season, a 28-7 victory over the St. Lawrence Valley Trailblazers in a Empire Football League battle at Scranton Memorial Stadium.

After a scoreless first quarter, the Wallingford-Verdetto combination struck 54 seconds into the second as they connected on a 30-yard scoring pass. The extra point was missed and the Eagles took a 6-0 lead.

With 3:24 left in the first half, Wallingford found Verdetto on another 30-yard touchdown strike. Wallingford hit fellow Honesdale product Matt Williams with a two-point conversion and the Eagles led at halftime 14-0.

The Trailblazers scored on the first drive of the second half when Joseph Hutchinson found James Compeau on a 60-yard scoring strike to cut the Eagles lead in half.

The Eagles scored on the first play of the fourth quarter when Pazienza on a one yard run. Williams hauled in a Wallingford pass to give the Eagles a 22-7 lead.

Phil Ross completed the scoring for the Eagles as he bolted over from the one-yard line as time expired.

Offensively, Wallingford went 9-for-17 for 168 yards and a pair of scores. Verdetto, of Old Forge, had four receptions for 78 yards.

On the defensive side, veteran George Romiti led the Eagles with 14 tackles and Nick Parlanti added nine.

The Eagles (1-2) hit the road for three consecutive weeks as they travel to Montreal next Saturday as they battle the Chateauguay Titans. Scranton's next home game will be August 25 when they take on the Ottawa Deacon Demons at Scranton Memorial Stadium.



Scranton Eagles post first win of season



Ted Wallingford hit Louis Verdetto with a pair of second-quarter touchdowns and Tim Pazienza ran for 80 yards and a score as the Scranton Eagles picked up their first win of the season, a 28-7 victory over the St. Lawrence Valley Trailblazers in a Empire Football League battle at Scranton Memorial Stadium.


Wallingford went 9-for-17 for 168 yards and a pair of scores. Verdetto had four receptions for 78 yards.

On the defensive side, veteran George Romiti led the Eagles with 14 tackles.


Ice Storm rolls over Lake City

— COLCHESTER, Vt. "" It appears that the Vermont Ice Storm truly do have the Lake City Stars number.
Brad Ruderman tossed for three touchdown passes and the Ice Storm scored five times in the second quarter to knock off Lake City, 35-7, in Empire Football League action on Saturday.
The Stars drove the ball the length of the field and ate up a chunk of clock during their first possession in the first quarter, but came away empty handed.
On their second possession, Vermont marched to the Lake City 10-yard line and Ruderman hooked up with Austin Partain to give the Ice Storm a 7-0 lead.
The Stars, on their next play from scrimmage, fumbled the football deep in their own zone which set Vermont up on the five-yard line.
Ruderman then found Rob Joy in the corner of the end zone for a 2-yard touchdown pass and a 14-0 lead "" just 23 seconds after their first touchdown.
After holding the Star to a three-and-out, the Ice Storm were at it again, this time on the ground. Jason Young took a toss from Ruderman and went 24 yards for the touchdown.
Late in the second quarter, Ruderman tossed his third touchdown pass of the day, and his second to Joy, from 10 yards out.
Less than a minute later, Kevin Fournier intercepted Lake City's Matt Bezio and returned the ball 26 yards for the touchdown.
Vermont scored 35 points in the second quarter, but was held scoreless for the remainder of the contest.
Lake City avoided the shutout when Bezio connected with Kelly Gordon for a 21-yard touchdown in the third quarter
Brandon St. John was a standout out defense for Lake City with two interceptions while B.J. Godfrey also stoodout from his linebacking postion.
The Stars were again hindered by turnovers, as they threw four interceptions and one fumble.
Vermont's Zack Howe, Drew Gordon, Fournier and Donny LaFleur each finished with an interception.
The Ice Storm move to 3-0 in the EFL season while Lake City falls to 1-2. The Stars will travel to Ottawa next Saturday to take on the Deacon Demons.
Vermont 35, Lake City 7
Lake City 0   0 7 0        7
Vermont   0 35 0 0      35
Scoring summary
Second quarter
V- Partain 10 pass from Ruderman (Kemp kick), 2:39.
V- Joy 2 pass from Ruderman (Kemp kick), 3:02.
V- Young 24 run (Kemp kick), 5:21.
V- Joy 10 pass from Ruderman (Kemp kick), 12:42.
V- Fournier 26 interception return (Kemp kick), 13:24.
Third quarter
LC- Gordon 21 pass from Bezio (DeCamp kick).
LC- St. John 2.
V- Gordon, Fournier, Howe, LaFleur.
V- Randall.

Copyright © 1999-2006 cnhi, inc.

Zephyrs drop road game to Titans

Published on Sunday, July 29, 2007

MONTREAL, Ont. — With just 21 players suited up after seven starters were turned back at the border, the Amsterdam Zephyrs were unable to keep up with Chateaugay, losing 34-18 Saturday in Empire Football League Play.

"We had very limited personnel, but these guys stuck together," Amsterdam coach Dom Ruggeri said. "I was really proud of them."

The Zephyrs (1-2) were already without seven defensive starters and lost two more at the border, along with five offensive starters. They were without 26 players overall. Ruggeri suited up to play defensive end and defensive coordinator Rodney Schur lined up on special teams.

Ken Shaffer passed for 209 yards and two touchdowns on a 16-for-38 night. He threw one interception along with passing touchdowns to both Evan DeGeorgio and Cedrick Pearlman. Shaffer also ran for a touchdown.

Chateauguay (1-2) led 20-6 at the half and Amsterdam was unable to muster the necessary comeback with a short-staffed sideline.

Amsterdam will travel to play St. Lawrence Valley next week.

Chateauguay 34, Amsterdam 18
Amsterdam 0 6 6 6 — 18
Chateauguay 6 14 0 14 — 34

Get a sneak peek of the all-new

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Free Web Site Counter
Free Website Counter